How does the lack of health care access affect population
health and patient wellbeing in a community? The lack of access in a rural
community can put individual’s life’s in danger. The nearest Cath Lab at the
Smokey Mountains is Memorial Hospital which can be a far drive for an
ambulance. If a patient has a STEMI they can have more damage done within the
hour because they don’t have access to a close hospital that can take care of
them. What is the biggest take away from today’s Wilderness First Aid course? Critical
thinking! This course has really opened my eyes to how things can change in one
second and how I may be in a position where I have to use critical thinking to
take care of my patients if I do not have the resources that I think I need or
any extra hands to help me. How can you incorporate some of the lessons you
learned today into your care of patients back home? I believe that I can take
the critical thinking skills and knowledge about wildlife and use this when
taking care of patients back home because I will be quicker to think and I will
be able to educate.
Today is Day Five of my Rural Health Travel Course. I did
not post yesterday, so here’s a little run down:
Yesterday,
June 4th, my travel class attended a Wilderness First Aid course at
Nantahala Outdoor Center. Some of the information that we went over on this day
we knew from previous nursing courses, but it is in a totally different
context. As nurses in a hospital we have all of these resources at our finger
tips, yet in the wilderness your left with what you packed in your bag and what
is near you. We ran through many scenarios where we treated patients with
spinal injuries, and other contusions. I thought my critical thinking skills
were being used to the maximum potential in the hospital and in school, but I
realized that trying to take care of a patient when you have slim resources and
no back up for several minutes or even hours, now that takes some serious critical
thinking skills. We ended our class at 4pm. We then headed back to the cabin
and ate stuffed pasta shells with a salad. At 7:30 pm we headed back out to
watch “Unto these Hills” at the Cherokee Mountainside Theatre. This play centered
around the Cherokee and what they went through that lead up to the Trail of
Tears, and what happened after this historical event. It was a great play that
had a lot of meaning behind it and all of the actors did such an amazing job.
Now, back to today (June 5th),
today we all crawled out of bed and made our way back for our second and last
day of Wilderness First Aid class. We learned about many topics ranging from
species of snakes and which types are poisoness to lightening and where it is
best to be during this. Our class ended at 4:30pm today. We all passed our
course and received our certification in Wilderness First Aid. I am now back at
the cabin relaxing while Hannah and Kyle prepare breakfast for dinner. I see a
big plate of food and a nap in my future.
Although these two days of wilderness first aid training were exhausting...it provided so many valuable learning opportunities and I'm so glad we did it! Hopefully you found some time for that nap...I'm jealous:)
ReplyDelete