What are you most excited about in
the days to come? What are your apprehensions? Do you think you may have any
cultural biases/ prejudices/ pride/stereotyping that you may need to set aside
to have better understanding about this culture? Why or why not?
As the first day of our Rural
Health trip comes to an end, I grow more excited for the days to come. The thing
I am most excited about is the Wilderness First Aid Course. I believe there are
so many opportunities for growth and education in this First Aid Course. I
honestly believe that I do not have any apprehensions coming into this course.
I am eager to learn and soak in all of the knowledge that is given to me these next
eight days. I believe that I am coming into this course and into Swain County free
of cultural bias, prejudices, pride, and stereotyping. I know that every
individual should be treated in a holistic fashion.
One thing that is helpful for nurses to do, is to reflect on ways that your own beliefs/values may differ from others. For example, what do you expect the people to be like in this area? Have you heard anything (positive or negative) about the Cherokee Indians? Sometimes we have biases that we don't even realize (and this isn't a bad thing, it is just good to recognize them).
ReplyDelete